Date: 18th November 2019
Position: Executive Director
Organization: Centre for Basic Research
Centre for Basic Research (CBR) was established in 1987 as an independent Research Organization registered as an NGO in Uganda. The mission of CBR is to generate and disseminate knowledge by conducting research of social, economic and political significance to Uganda in particular and Africa in general, so as to influence policy, raise consciousness and improve quality of life. CBR was one of the pioneers in articulating the need for Ugandans to define the national agenda through the creation and use of locally generated knowledge. Over the years, CBR Research agenda has included democracy, governance and constitutionalism, gender and cultural studies among others. CBR also seeks to contribute to research capacity building in the country. To this end, CBR runs intensive programs to build research skills and create researchers capable of independent thought. Most of the work produced by CBR has been in the form of working papers, policy briefs and books.
CBR wishes to recruit the service of an Executive Director who will provide it with high-quality intellectual leadership, research and knowledge management, human resource, resource mobilization, financial and administrative management as well as cultivating and projecting a high organization image and brand standing.
- Provide intellectual leadership by conducting research and contributing to the research agenda
- Be the managerial lead of CBR and shall exercise overall supervision of staff and researchers, as well as research products, property and CBR library
- Be the official representative of CBR to all foreign bodies, persons, organizations or institutions
- Strengthen research capacity through initiating opportunities for the professional development of staff and researchers
- Mobilize funds for all activities of CBR
- Oversee the image of CBR and work continuously to enhance it through quality and timely publication of working papers, books, effective maintenance and dissemination of research products, effective networking with similar organizations and promoting institutional integrity and sound governance
- Oversee institutional accountability through sound financial and personnel management, an effective information management system, transport processes and procedures and coordinate meetings and seminars for intellectual and managerial purposes
- Manage strategic planning and institutional reforms of CBR
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Master’s Degree from a recognized reputable university. A PhD is an added advantage
- Should have the ability to create effective management systems
- Should have a proven track record in research and advocacy
- Should have at least three peer-reviewed publications or a minimum of five working papers
- Strong financial management skills
- Proven record of raising funds/fundraising skills
Terms of service
Compensation: A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience will be offered to the successful candidate
Tenure: Four-year renewable contract subject to performance. The Executive Director will report to the Governing Council (by the decision of the General Meeting of 2nd August 2019) which will then report to the General meeting, the policy-making organ of CBR.
Applications clearly marked “Application for the position of Executive Director” with full CVs and copies of certificates, copies of 2 best publications; details of 2 referees (name and contact details) should be addressed as below and submitted by hard copies to Centre for Basic Research or by emails to;
Board of Trustees
Centre for Basic Research,
Plot15, Baskerville Avenue, Kololo,
P.O Box 9863, Kampala
Please note that the closing date for receipt of applications is 21st January 2020. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.